Sunday, September 5, 2010

Granite Mountain Lookout

This was by far the best hike we have been on this season. I look forward to returning next year when the flowers are more in bloom. It was a rough one, but very rewarding and very beautiful. I am not having the muscle pain and soreness that I had with Mount Si. This is what the Washington Trail Association said about this trail. I was very nervous, but pleased that we dared to go. It think it kept many hikers away as it was very quiet and those who were on the trail followed the rules of etiquette.

One look at the parking lot midday on any summer weekend, and the obvious will jump out and bite you: the Granite Mountain Trail is the most heavily traveled summit path in the Snoqualmie Pass corridor. Of course, there is a good reason for that: it's spectacular. But it's also steep. Mind numbingly, thigh-burning steep. You'll climb a heel-blistering 3800 feet in 4.3 miles to an old fire lookout at the 5600-foot summit, with awesome views in all directions. Pack plenty of water, as there is no good source along the trail.

1 comment:

  1. your pics are beautiful!! Washington is such a fascinating state...go figure!!

    ReplyDelete